Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 04:34:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Ceriatone Forums are up and running!!!

Guests please register
Note: If you want to help you can donate to keep the forums alive.

Do you want to advertise on this forum ? Send me a private message.

Amplified Parts
+  Ceriatone Forum
|-+  Ceriatone
| |-+  Overtone
| | |-+  Rack Mount Kleinulator Build
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rack Mount Kleinulator Build  (Read 25925 times)
hywelg

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2008, 10:25:27 PM »

I made a start yesterday, mostly metalworking. Not my strong point. I roughed out on paper what I wanted and where it was to go but the first job was to make sure it would all fit. The space inside was large enough, it was the area on the front and rear fascias that as most critical especially as I wanted a power distribution section to keep the number of power leads trailing to a socket to a minimum.

As it turned out the biggest problem was the height inside the case. The pot solder tags project too high and would touch the lid if I didn't turn them and the jack sockets that Nik supplied have great long solder nibs which were also a problem. I swapped them for a different sort, but in retrospect I should have drilled the holes slightly off the centre line.

The 9v transformer I cannibalised from a linear regulated supply house in a plastic case, which was inordinately difficult to get apart, they glue them together it seems, had to resort to hack saw to get at the innerds. I also had to separate the regulator from the tranny otherwise the  contacts would have been above the level of the lid. As it was I had to cut a hole in the lid for the transformer but there's no risk of contacts touching now.

Front face plate from left to right. Send, Bright switch, return, bright switch, recovery, Bypass LED, 9v fuse, 9v power LED, 9v power switch, Mains fuse, mains power.

* K01.jpg (103.92 KB, 1200x842 - viewed 1373 times.)

* K02.jpg (23.31 KB, 1200x341 - viewed 899 times.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:01:27 PM by hywelg » Logged
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:33:51 PM »

Power sockets now fitted, circuit boards mounted on insulating risers. Face plate re-attached. Holed drilled to for securing tranny. I couldn't use a metal clamp over the top of the tranny, it would have added to the height so resorted to using ties.

The green blocks are padding to keep the conductors from getting anywhere near the case. The regulator is mounted to the side wall with one self tapping screw into the heatsink.

* K03.jpg (94.43 KB, 1200x711 - viewed 957 times.)

* K04.jpg (147.49 KB, 1000x1063 - viewed 906 times.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:47:38 AM by hywelg » Logged
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:44:55 PM »

Power socket wiring now completed. 9volt wiring partly completed, sufficient to power it up and check the tranny, regulator, LED, switch etc. The green LED is on just not very bright, deliberately, I don't want it looking like the bridge of the Enterprise.

Face plate and outside of case was sprayed matt black

Star ground fixed but not all connections made.

Jack sockets were a pain. there was very little room to manoeuvre under the lip so I tack soldered the solid earth connector then removed the sockets to complete all the other wiring. I also took the relay board out and colour coded the connections for later reference.

Bypass switch was a very tight fit, but I wanted a very robust one. This is the one you'll hit if something goes wrong mid song!!

Rear fascia is, from left to right in the photo, Input, send, return, output (reversed from Niks layout), bypass switch, footswitch jack, two 9v out sockets, 3 mains power out sockets, mains in socket.

* K05.jpg (115.9 KB, 1200x764 - viewed 846 times.)

* K06.jpg (138.11 KB, 1200x886 - viewed 1073 times.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:46:56 PM by hywelg » Logged
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:54:10 PM »

I was hoping to get more done today but the two colour LED I was intending to use for the bypass/fx on LED blew whilst testing it, so that prevented me from completing the 9v side of the relay. Should have bought a few spares.

Will add more pics if I get chance to any more on it during the week. Also need to clarify with Nik how to bias the FET.

Another lesson learnt. Things take at least twice as long as you bargained on. this will probably take as long start to finish as my OTS build did.

I have a layout drawing for the Klein and one for the bypass switching, when I've finished it and it all works (if !) I'll combine the two drawings into a full layout.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 11:08:11 PM by hywelg » Logged
Steven_nl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »

Hi

Have you built your Kleinulator to the latest soecs?
There has bee a small addition to prevent tthe unit from blowing up.
I don't know the technical details but it includes a Zener (whatever that may be)
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 05:49:21 PM »

Not sure to be honest. I'm just using the kit parts bought from Nik about a month ago. I know the board is different from the layout Nik sent me which shows some type of diode!

So if it blows up it might not be my fault ! Grin
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »

Turns out my board was built before the new mods. Nik is sending me the parts to upgrade it. Layout was correct.

This might cause a bit of a delay in finishing the project.

* KleinLayout.jpg (83.62 KB, 601x614 - viewed 5279 times.)
nickm57

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »

looking good, that's allot of filtering for a 9v device, perhaps others can chime in, I would have thought a simpler regulated power supply would suffice.
The zener  is protection, for spike/surge  and if the polarity is connected backward by accident.
what is the component marked as "10"?

Nick
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:31 PM »

10ohm resistor.

My 9v supply is rated 500mW which I would hope will be sufficient. All the filtering is part of the Klein kit though somehow voltages higher than 9v are being generated. My electronics knowledge is insufficient to understand how!
Eddd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 03:30:49 PM »

Hi,i am watching this topic with great interest and wondering what the IC is near the filter caps.
Thanks in advance,Ed
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »

Those that know might chip in here !!!!

Somehow the circuitry is generating 20+ volts from a 9v supply so I guess that chip might have something to do with that.
nickm57

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 06:24:12 AM »

it's  voltage doubler max1044
erwin_ve
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:07:43 AM »

Depending on the diodes used, you can get a voltage from your power supply at 30-40V.
This link posted at ampgarage explains it well. http://www.geofex.com/circuits/+9_to_33.htm
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »

Completed all the wiring I can today. Signal cables were a bit fiddly since I needed to ensure grounding of all the shielding without creating any loops.

Signal cable runs are longer than in the small box format as supplied by Nik, but this will be more than compensated for by the much shorter cables to the other rack unit.

* K07.jpg (82.4 KB, 900x644 - viewed 872 times.)

* K08.jpg (164.06 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 920 times.)
hywelg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 07:42:13 PM »

9v supply to relay board and to 9v outlet sockets.

* K10.jpg (106.92 KB, 1200x779 - viewed 834 times.)

* K09.jpg (85.19 KB, 900x607 - viewed 802 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length