Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:52:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Ceriatone Forums are up and running!!!

Guests please register
Note: If you want to help you can donate to keep the forums alive.

Do you want to advertise on this forum ? Send me a private message.

Amplified Parts
+  Ceriatone Forum
|-+  Custom amp building, Prototypes and other amps
| |-+  Discussion
| | |-+  Where to start.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where to start.....  (Read 10019 times)
James Hart

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2007, 02:16:37 AM »

Hello, I've got a background in electronics that I set aside 18 years ago.  I've started messing with stomp boxes and instrument rewiring again... and it's all coming back quickly,  but I want to build and repair tube amps.  I'm running a Peavey Classic 400 all tube bass rig ( www.classic400.com ) and would like to build a Super Bass or possibly a Dual Showman as a lower watt bass head.

Are the little heads significantly easier or should I just jump right in and start with what I want?
Kitarist
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 02:34:30 AM »

Well the best is to start with small and then go to bigger stuff. Since you already have some background in the electronics you could already go with building  with the amp you want. Building amps is fun and educational but also dangerous. So if you are unsure of somethin always ask someone else or on this forums.

Music has to breathe and sweat. You have to play it live
Weathered

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »

You'll definitely want to start small and work your way up.  Even a 50 or 100 watt Plexi is going to be a diffuicult first build.  If you take your time and are extremely diligent, it isn't impossible to build one as your first build, but it is much easier to start with a small Fender (Champ, Princeton, 5E3) or something like an 18 watt Marshall.

Visualize whirled peas.
bloodedge
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 02:56:01 PM »

i would soo much build an amp by myself.. i soo much like these old tube amp it is driving me crazy Smiley.
if i could i would spend all my life for tube amp, and i would like more thant everything to build tubeamp for myself or for re-sell since not much company can make good vintage amp... they usually use pcb, change component for lower cost, and that's bad, as someone said somewhere in the forum, they just made lame attempt to make reissues.

only problem me i have never worked into a tubeamp, but from the instruction on internet on building a jtm45, and from all the info and circuit info and tube info i looked over the internet, i think at end these amp are kind of simple, but i guess that not because they simle it mean simple to build.

i also used to repair and tweak everything that use electricity here since there no tech who i trust around"or who are more calified thant a 5 years old kid for soldering wires".
only difference is there is tube and higher voltage. wich is still a big difference lol."well for me"

there is no school on internet for learn to build and work into tubeamp? lol
James Hart

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 05:45:52 PM »

thanks for the replies...

I guess I'll play with a small amp first...  I just have little use for a sub 50 watt head with Bass.  I guess a 1x12" combo for guitarist to use at living room jam / writing sessions wouldn't hurt  Grin
Weathered

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »

thanks for the replies...

I guess I'll play with a small amp first...  I just have little use for a sub 50 watt head with Bass.  I guess a 1x12" combo for guitarist to use at living room jam / writing sessions wouldn't hurt  Grin

Well, if nothing else, you can sell your build for cost or a small loss (it's hard to make money on your first few builds), and fund the next amp with it.   Nothing wrong with having a great guitar amp for your buddies to use.  Smiley

Visualize whirled peas.
timeforheroes

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 09:34:52 PM »

You'll definitely want to start small and work your way up.  Even a 50 or 100 watt Plexi is going to be a diffuicult first build.  If you take your time and are extremely diligent, it isn't impossible to build one as your first build, but it is much easier to start with a small Fender (Champ, Princeton, 5E3) or something like an 18 watt Marshall.

I am also very interested in building and repairing tube amps.  i just bought my first tube amp (ac30!!!!!)  and i cant believe the difference in feel, dynamics, and SOUND!   amazing. 
i want to build a ceriatone amp very badly.  i e-mailed nik and he said that the kits don't come with instructions....where and how do i find out how to build these?  do i just look at the schematic?  if that is the case, then i am certain that building an amp would be out of my league until i learn more....very sad
what is the easiest to build?   i dont mind a small project...

ChrisL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:03 AM »

I am also very interested in building and repairing tube amps.  i just bought my first tube amp (ac30!!!!!)  and i cant believe the difference in feel, dynamics, and SOUND!   amazing. 
i want to build a ceriatone amp very badly.  i e-mailed nik and he said that the kits don't come with instructions....where and how do i find out how to build these?  do i just look at the schematic?  if that is the case, then i am certain that building an amp would be out of my league until i learn more....very sad
what is the easiest to build?   i dont mind a small project...

Hang on.  There is never anything sad about taking some time for learning.  Amp building does require some basic knowledge but the learning curve isn't too steep to get you building successfully.  Nik provides a layout not a schematic.  There are plenty of pictures of amp builds all over the various builder forums for reference so as long as your choice of build isn't too complex you should do fine.  For a first build I would suggest a head as the chassis will have much more space for inexperienced fingers.  My first build (way back when) was a home brew 18 watt circuit and it came out fine with a very limited amount of know how.  An 18 watt lite is a great first build. 
bloodedge
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:26:52 PM »

you can try to look at metroamp forum.
there is instruction for build some amp and alot of info on them, good place for learn.
Roe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 05:28:17 PM »

the metro kits are killer. good parts and good instructions. and a lot of help from the guys at the metroamp forum
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length