Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:26:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Ceriatone Forums are up and running!!!

Guests please register
Note: If you want to help you can donate to keep the forums alive.

Do you want to advertise on this forum ? Send me a private message.

Amplified Parts
+  Ceriatone Forum
|-+  Ceriatone
| |-+  Overtone
| | |-+  Hi, am I crazy? Use Overtone head cabinet as a rack?!?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hi, am I crazy? Use Overtone head cabinet as a rack?!?  (Read 12823 times)
eriwebnerr

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

Well, here's my thought process. I was looking for a nice rack unit to use in the "effects loop" of the Overtone. I am pretty set on the G-major or G-sharp. I didn't want to have the rack effect just sitting there so I was looking at those shallower 2 rack space cases on eBay that are tolex'd to look like little heads. I thought it would look nice and protect it.

But then I realized, its nearly the same dimensions as the Overtone head! I took measurements, and sure enough it seems like it would fit perfectly! Part of what makes me think this would work is that the units are 1 rack space high (1.75") and shallow (4.2" deep). The width is standard rack width 19" - 19 1/8". I do see one of the transformers hanging a bit low, but it looks like from the bottom of the head cabinet up I have 2 1/4" clearance which gives me 1/2 inch from the top of the rack.

My concerns were heat dissipation and just if this is a dumb idea in general. Here's a cheesy mock up of what I hoped it might look like ...

* IMAGE_00007.jpg (37.54 KB, 640x349 - viewed 918 times.)
ic-racer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 11:35:18 PM »

Groove Tube used to make an amp with a rack space. In that design the empty rack was the first space and the amp (which also looked 'rack mounted') was just below, with the tubes hanging below the grill plate. I checked their site and don't see that model listed any more.

I have yet to try my rack mount delay (with adjustable in/out levels) to see if it has enough input/output adjustment range to match the impedance of the 'effects loop' without using a Dumbletor.  Have you tried yours?
jake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 03:04:33 AM »

Heck, make a different rear cover and mount it in from the back (stealth mode) that way if you decide you don't like it there will be no damage to repair. Once the presets are made you really won't need to get to the knobs anyhow, would you?
eriwebnerr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 03:51:05 AM »

Heck, make a different rear cover and mount it in from the back (stealth mode) that way if you decide you don't like it there will be no damage to repair. Once the presets are made you really won't need to get to the knobs anyhow, would you?

Hey Jake, thats not a bad idea! Although, the G-sharp that I'm strongly leaning towards will be something I'll need to tweak occasionally like a foot pedal. I'm thinking of using the G-switch foot pedal for it to turn the various effects on / off rather than switch presets as much. I'm trying to avoid midi.

I have yet to try my rack mount delay (with adjustable in/out levels) to see if it has enough input/output adjustment range to match the impedance of the 'effects loop' without using a Dumbletor.  Have you tried yours?

Well, I don't have the G-sharp yet, but I do have a Glass Nexus made by Damage Control. I have that in the loop and it sounds stellar! For all the brooha about the effects loop, I have found that as long as the thing I am putting in it can handle rack levels, it sounds great.

Thanks guys for your feedback!
eriwebnerr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:40:47 PM »

Well, I did it! ....

Instead of cutting the original piece of the cabinet in the front, I cut a new piece of sealed finished wood that I lacquered black to sit in between the unit and the actual amp. This way I can completely reverse this and go back to the original setup. I did have to remove one of the thin pieces of wood that held on the original front cover (the one on the bottom). But this can be glued back in really easy if needed.

The G-sharp is actually very shallow and only 1 rack space so I have still plenty of clearance between the lowest hanging transformer and the effects unit. I even have the cables to the effects loop all neatly inside and away from the tubes.

Best of all it sounds great! The reverbs and delays on the G-sharp are top notch. I got it with the G-switch which lets me turn effects, delay, or reverb on/off and have tap tempo.

Ok, so its not the most gorgeous mod in the world, but it consolidates many of my effects and puts everything in one neat easy to transport package. Thought you guys might like to see it.
ampkits
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:14 PM »

Hi

I had this same exact idea! Even bought a G major off ebay to do it.

Thats great man.

Maybe i should make the cab like this. Or have the slot done in a way you can take the cover on/off, depending if you're using a rack unit there, or not.

Thanks!

Nik
gbergl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 07:01:34 PM »

I built a combo cabinet with the G major in a rack space at the bottom of the amp.  With the EVM-12L speaker in the combo cab, I am totally satisfied.  The G major works great with this amp.  No buffer or loop-ulator is necessary.  I don't have any desires to tweak the amp or the set up as a whole.

Thanks, Nik, for a great amp.
Luithien

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 08:42:45 PM »

Sweet idea and execution!
What do you think about the differences between the G-Sharp, G-Major and G-Force for this application?

JT
gbergl

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 09:07:06 PM »

I don't have any experience with the G-Sharp or G-Force, but I'm impressed with TC Electronic's products - very transparent, true bypass, great reverbs and delays.  I would expect the same from the other G-* products. 

I like the G-Major installed in the combo amp because there is no extra set up and it sounds great.  I put the lower back panel of the combo cab on hinges so it can be opened to get easy access to the rack unit.  I have a G-minor connected for remote footswitch control of the G-Major.

Greg B.
Luithien

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 09:33:07 PM »

I don't have any experience with the G-Sharp or G-Force, but I'm impressed with TC Electronic's products - very transparent, true bypass, great reverbs and delays.  I would expect the same from the other G-* products. 

I like the G-Major installed in the combo amp because there is no extra set up and it sounds great.  I put the lower back panel of the combo cab on hinges so it can be opened to get easy access to the rack unit.  I have a G-minor connected for remote footswitch control of the G-Major.

Greg B.

Thanks for the input Greg. Any chance you have a picture or two? I think I have access to a G-major, and frankly like the thought of the black face on it in keeping with the black of the OTS...

JT
eriwebnerr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 09:46:22 PM »

Wow! I'm glad you guys liked it. I was beginning to think I really was crazy!

I took the G-sharp over the G-major because I really just wanted it for the delays and reverbs. The tremolos, phasers, and choruses are good too, but not as stellar as the reverbs and delays. Also it only has two effects engines - 1 for reverbs and 1 for everything else. So you can't run say phaser and delay at the same time, but I have other modulation pedals for that.

I guess its all in what your looking for. G-major sounds excellent too! I would recommend that if your looking for something more inclusive than the G-sharp. Downside, still no Uni-vibe and the pedal switch (G-minor) isn't the vaccum style click like the G-switch is for the G-sharp. Geez thats a lot of G's

But from what I understand of their specs, any of the "G" products would fit into this cab nicely. They are all the standard rack width / height and relatively shallow.
ampkits
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

Warning:

I will not accept putting G-String in this.

Unless it's Carmen Electra's.

Thanks!

Nik
Luithien

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:22 AM »

Darn it!
Guess I will have to send Monica Bellucci's back then...

JT
gbergl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008, 01:10:31 AM »

I have some pictures that I'll try to include soon.

Another nice feature of the G-Major is the possibility of a stereo set up.  The reverbs, delays, chorus, etc take on a new dimension when another (transparent) amp takes the other output signal from the G-Major to a speaker.

I haven't tried this yet but I will soon. 

When I play in a larger auditorium, I generally connect an extra speaker to the Overtone.  Even this (in a mono mode) sounds great.

Greg B.
gbergl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 01:54:12 PM »

I've attached some pictures of the combo cab I built with the G-Major installed in the cab.  I'm not using the Classic Lead speaker now.  I have the EVM-12L installed.

* Dumble 5a.jpg (63.64 KB, 564x374 - viewed 759 times.)

* Dumble 6a.jpg (92.93 KB, 564x374 - viewed 797 times.)

* Dumble 7a.jpg (68.3 KB, 564x374 - viewed 831 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length