It appears that you have not registered with Ceriatone Forum. To register, please click here...
5E3 Tube Bias
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 11:48:24 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Ceriatone Forums are up and running!!!

Guests please register
Note: If you want to help you can donate to keep the forums alive.

Do you want to advertise on this forum ? email me: davor.molnar@gmail.com

If you dont want to use Chipin you can also donate (Paypal) to davor.molnar@gmail.com

The Tube Shop
+  Ceriatone Forum
|-+  American Style
| |-+  5E3 Tweed Deluxe
| | |-+  5E3 Tube Bias
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5E3 Tube Bias  (Read 3045 times)
ogion

View Profile Email
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:35:54 PM »

Hello all, stoked this forum exists !!! This is my 1st post, I have just joined.

This amp (the 5E3) is my very 1st tube amp so forgive me if I am a little bit of a newbie.

I lent this amp to a mate at work (he's very knowledgeable with tube amps) and he said he loved it,
as did my brother-in-law, I love it as well, its awesome, I think I'll have it in another 5 decades.

Anyway, I was interested in playing around with different brand tubes and seeing what kind of sounds
I can get out of this amp, my question thou, and I did read it elsewhere but I just wanted confirmation
from you guys, if I change different brand 6v6GT's do I need to bias the amp or not ?

Cheers, and thanks for your time, Adam
SammyC

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »

Hi there,
The 5E3 is cathode-biased, no need to worry about that. Check out Fuzzy's post and replies. This amp runs HOT.
I had a PT prob right out the gate with mine and I thought I changed the recto with the PT, but it's a dead ringer for a brown base Sylvania 5Y3GWT. I'm not sure what Nik uses but this is not a Sovtek. Point being, check that rectifier tube. If it's that brown base, no labeling just 5Y3GWT stamped on top, it's a goodun and built like a tank. If not, go NOS on your 5Y3 ($30-40 maybe less), it'll run cooler and probally last a lifetime.
On power tubes, I highly recommend the Tungsol new issues. They're heavy duty, run cooler and sound great. They are a little more expensive but, IMO, worth it.
I hope this helps a little. You could go Ga-Ga on the NOS thing and well worth investigating but I think this will give you a great start.
SammyC   
Ceriatone Forum

Ceriatone Forum

cmoore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 11:34:13 PM »

I installed a larger value bias resistor in my clone. Just seemed like it was biased way too hot with the stock 250 ohm resistor.
Good Luck
ogion

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:32:40 PM »

Awesome info, I was looking at the Tung-Sol and umming and arghing over them, I think I just might do it grab em and see how I go. Cheers fellas.
wyatt
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »

You should be okay trying different 6V6's as long as everything is in spec.  The B+ voltage should be around 375VDC, and not much higher.

Never use a modern 5Y3 rectifier, it'll raise the B+ higher than most 6V6's like to see.  Always go NOS, NOS 5Y3's are $10-15, same price as modern ones and one may last you a lifetime.  This point should be moot, because, IIRC, Ceriatone ships with NOS 5Y3's anyway.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:10:42 PM by wyatt » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length