Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:14:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Ceriatone Forums are up and running!!!

Guests please register
Note: If you want to help you can donate to keep the forums alive.

Do you want to advertise on this forum ? Send me a private message.

Amplified Parts
+  Ceriatone Forum
|-+  British Style
| |-+  18 Watt
| | |-+  My TMB O/P transformer has died- any idea why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My TMB O/P transformer has died- any idea why?  (Read 5986 times)
Mitch
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:18:49 AM »

Guys-
had my TMB for two years with no issues- then suddenly the output transformer croaked on me at a rehearsal- I had the amp wound up fairly high- anyone else have issues with it?  Already have a new one on the way from Nik- but REALLY want to avoid it happening again- my tech said it may have been an issue with the JJ EL84's power tubes failing/flashing over- anyone have a comment on this?  All else in the amp checked out good.

Cheers! Mitch
wonwill

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »

Hi Mitch,
the same problem with my 18 watt tmb ef 86. Everything in the amp checked out good, but the sound disappears after a few minutes, when the amp gets "operating temperature". My tech said the output tranny probably has a "leak", so I have to find a new one. Do you have any idea where to find one aside from the ceriatone-made (because of the horrible shipping costs)?
Cheers, Martin
Mitch
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »

Hi Mitch,
the same problem with my 18 watt tmb ef 86. Everything in the amp checked out good, but the sound disappears after a few minutes, when the amp gets "operating temperature". My tech said the output tranny probably has a "leak", so I have to find a new one. Do you have any idea where to find one aside from the ceriatone-made (because of the horrible shipping costs)?
Cheers, Martin

Martin - well I just bit the bullet and ordered a replacement from Nik- which was around £50 GBP delivered- which I thought wasn't too bad- but no doubt any good 18w O/P  marshall transformer should do the job- I just needed mine repaired urgently & Nik sent a replacement within a week!

Cheers,

Mitch
Jennings

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:17:33 AM »

Exactly the same thing happened to me in the summer at a gig...I spoke to Nik etc about getting a replacement, which of course he wa shappy to do, but I thought I'd try an alternative just to see from a tone comparison point of view...no other reason really.  I'm in the UK, and got old of a little UK made 18 watt out put tranny off Ebay.  Wired it, now the amp sounds great and works again.  Not really any difference in tone form the ceriatone unit.  I think I blew the old one as i run the amp with the volume up full all the time I'm using it.  I'd like to find a robust tranny that won't do this, but running the amp flat out is bound ot get some slight issues from time to time I'd guess?
DrewB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 01:35:21 AM »

I just lost my 2nd one in 2.5 years.  Everything else in the amp is fine and the signal (verified with an oscilloscope) is good at the point it heads for the OT.  The first one crackled and went to low volume.  This one crackles in and out.  I think I'm going with a Heyboer and adding a fuse to protect it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length